Skyy2Win Presents Metro-Baltimore's Only
Youth Basketball Referee Training Program
Maryland Youth Basketball Officials Alliance (MYBOA™)
Skyy2Win Presents Maryland’s Premier Youth Basketball Officials Training Program
Welcome to the Howard County-Baltimore Metro area’s only comprehensive youth basketball officials training program!
MYBOA™, presented by the Skyy 2 Win Youth Foundation, to focuses on the full spectrum of the game and sport of youth basketball. It takes into primary consideration the intrinsic values youth basketball sports programs aspire to impart:
An enriching, confidence-building, skill development activity for those who participate: the players, the coaches, the spectators (mostly family) and league administrators.
MYBOA™ approaches youth referee training as a community partnership, bringing experienced basketball officials together with teenage youths, parents, coaches, assigners, league administrators and community leaders to ensure everyone is on the same page. Senior basketball officials certified by professional organizations such as IAABO, NBRA, NCAA and many others can learn to effectively apply their expertise to the younger leagues and thus serve as mentors for youth officials.
The basketball official is the most influential person during games to ensure the values of the game and sport are supported and maintained. The basketball official’s #1 role is to control the game.
How he or she controls the game will always directly and indirectly affect the value of the experience all participants take away. In youth basketball, this can be extremely challenging because the official not only has to call the game but also call according to age/grade level, appropriately address any sporting issues with players, coaches or spectators, look for safety hazards, and many other things at one time.
The official’s best judgment and instincts must constantly evaluate the scene... all the while ensuring that the integrity of the game if maintained. This is the trademark of the MYBOATM official.
Skyy2Win presents MYBOA™ as a national model for all youth programs. It is anchored in partnership with youth sports programs in Howard County, Maryland and Baltimore City, working together to bring this experience to the greater metropolitan area. The program was created and is directed by Eric McLamb, a 40-year veteran coach, referee and league administrator who dedicated his full efforts to the youth experience the past 27 years.
The MYBOA™ referee training package contains a customizable eight-session course outline, game rules for youth basketball, certificate of completion and certified basketball officials’ uniform patch, in addition to training aids online and in-person. It offers a complete package for communities seeking a high standard of basketball integrity and youth and community enrichment everywhere.
The following is a snapshot of the MYBOA™ Training Course.
2021 Fall Season Training!
MYBOA™ will hold its inaugural training session in July 2021 in partnership with The Children's Home of Catonsville, OneTeam Officiating and NewFit of Baltimore. The class will be conducted from July 29 - August 26 at The Children's Home. OneTeam will assign the graduates of the program to Baltimore youth basketball games under the NewFit schools program. All graduates will be assigned with senior MYBOA-certified basketball officials.
Registration for the winter youth basketball referee training program in Howard County will open in August with classes starting in later October. Keep checking back to this website for more details!
For more information regarding registration for the program, please email us at Connect@skyy2win.com.
Snapshot: MYBOA™ Training Course
1. Minimum Age: 13 years old as of January 1.
2. Attire: Solid black shorts or running pants (with pockets, no stripes), black T-shirt (no pocket), black running or tennis shoes, no-earrings or piercings, no watches, a flat object such as a coin or patch that will hold well in pants pockets, Fox 40 whistle (black), black lanyard. (Note: The league may opt to provide any of these, such as a shirt and/or whistles.)
3. Notebook or pad and pen or pencil.
4. All students must arrive at classes 15 minutes prior to the scheduled start of class.
5. Students may miss one class if necessary, but must get what was missed from another student or attendee. There are no make-up classes.
6. Students must attend and participate in the on-court evaluation sessions at the end of the course. A positive valuation assessment will be required (based on standard novice or trainee standards).
7. Students must take and pass the final written exam with an 80% or better score. If 80% is not achieved, there will be a one-on-one review and retest. MYBOA’s goal is to help every student pass the course with an acceptable competency rating.
1. Current NFHS Basketball Rulebook.
2. Special training downloads and officiating guides.
3. Expert trainers with extensive officiating experience at all levels of the game.
4. MYBOATM Certification certificate & patch upon successful graduation.
5. Referee scheduling placement through the Skyy2Win Youth Sports Partnership Network.
1. Active on-court training at all sessions, that includes.
a. Study and application of the Rules of the Game:
Intent of the rules ... Best judgment ... Most misunderstood rules.
b. Proper use of hand signals proper application of court mechanics.
Positioning ... Switching and short switches vs. long switches ... Tip-off and free- throws ... Inbounding, period breaks ... Pre-game, post-game.
c. Running, how-to run and observe, (Always HUSTLE!). BLOW YOUR WHISTLE!
d. Working with your partner ... always know where your partner is ... SUPPORT!
Youth Basketball Emphasis:
Understanding levels of development and calling accordingly ... peer pressure and self- esteem ... dealing with the coaches ... helping developmental youth understand the game by your calls ... insight, compassion and understanding ... professional execution ... understanding the interrelationships at play ... preventive officiating.
Questions? Send us an email at: Connect@skyy2win.com